People with a poor sleep are often ill
Sleep well and the chance you get a cold is few times lower than in people who don’t have enough sleep.
American scientists ascertained that a short night sleep is harmful for our health. People who sleep less than 7 hours a day, are more exposed to catarrhal diseases.
First of all every patient were submitted to a medical examination. The experimenters analyzed everyone’s health condition, the normal quantity of antibodies in blood, counted the index of weight and revealed different particularities of the organism. Then, during 14 days, every patient related their sleeping process: how long did the sleep lasted, what was the general feeling and other particularities. After 14 days every patient was injected with a simple Cold (chill) virus – rhinovirus. Doctors were analyzing the situation of the patient during 5 days, then, after 4 weeks the patients were submitted to a repeated blood analysis.
As a result, the researchers came to the following conclusions.
- People who sleep less are more exposed to catarrhal diseases. People that sleep less than 7 hours a day are at risk to get cold three times frequently than people who sleep 8 hours and more.
- As better sleep one gets, as more improbable is the possibility to get a cold. People who practically sleep less than 92% of time, have 5,5% higher probability to get Cold, than those who are in a deep sleep.
- The self sensation has no influence over the risk of getting ill.
- The difference in risk to get cold can not be motivated by a weight surplus, by organism’s particularities or other factors.
Professor Cohen assume the following mechanism of influence “Abnormalities in sleeping process lead to the change in cytokinins and other symptomatic mediators regulation which are generated as a result of the illness”
It is obvious now that a good prolonged sleep is much better than the lack of sleep. But actually, if you think you sleep too much you must consult your physician. It is also important to take into account the individual factor: for some people 5 hour sleep is normal for recovery, for others, not less than ten.
Lack of sleep symptoms
Typical symptoms of an acute lack of good sleep include fatigue, sleepiness, headaches, difficulty concentrating and irritability. These symptoms can result strained social relationships, poor job performance, and increased accident rates
The effects of poor sleep can also create a number of different illnesses. Most people notice that when they are fully rested they are a lot less likely to get sick; however, whenever they miss a couples days worth of sleep they are at the highest risk of coming down with something. Some of the physiologically symptoms that little sleep can cause are short term memory loss, high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, weight loss, weight gain, and blurry vision. Depending on the individual person, the symptoms will vary significantly.
Lack of sleep signs
Constantly Tired, Irritability, Lack of Concentration, Stress Intolerance, Appetite Changes, Memory Loss, Social Problems
Statistics for a lack of sleep
- Almost 74% of all Americans do not get enough sleep each night
- Most will feel sleepy or groggy during the week
- 51% of adults say they have problems sleeping at least a few nights each week
- Almost 1/3rd have trouble sleeping every night
- Half of all Americans can not get up without an alarm clock
- Alarm clocks interrupt sleep cycle causing, lack of energy, feeling unrefreshed in the morning
- Those with sleep problems are twice as likely to feel stressed and tired
Remember that the lack of sleep doesn’t have as consequence only a higher chance of catching easier a cold. You must take into consideration other side effects of bad sleep as: dizziness, nausea and headaches; it can also cause acute muscle pains; it can be the cause of your irritability, memory loss or hallucinations. If these side effects aren’t very scary to you, you should also know about the fact that the lack of sleep can be a cause of type 2 diabetes.
If you think you don’t get enough sleep you should see a doctor.
The lack of sleep can be dangerous for your health
Healthy sleep solutions, tips for healthy sleep look up
Improve sleep patterns and delay the ageing process see report
November 25 2009 07:23 am | Miscellaneous